Monday, February 20, 2012

Lifting the Viel on Muslim Women Stereotypes



     In the article My take: Top 5 myths about American Muslims' love lives, written by co-writers Ayesha Mattu and Nura Maznavi, clears up the stereotypes about American Muslim women when it comes to their love lives. The authors claim that a lot has been written by Muslim women, but little has been written by Muslim women themselves. The five main points in the article dispute the common stereotypes that have been given to Muslim women about their love lives over the past years.
     The authors show great points in their article. They pick at the stereotypes that are given to them, and they prove them wrong, by providing great explanations and personal experiences between Muslim women and their friends. I completely agree with both authors’ arguments and thinks it makes a great article. Every point that they have seems spot on and even changed some of my beliefs on Muslim women for the better. One example that has helped me and could possibly change the view of Muslim women is the stereotype that they marry men their parents choose for them. While reading the article the authors disproved this statement by stating that Islam gives the women the final say over whether or not to marry the man. The only weakness that I noticed was that the article could have been longer because it seemed to end abruptly. This article calls out a social issue, and hopefully it can put this topic to rest for many people.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting social issue to persue. I actually went on to read the linked article because your post made me curious. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this is a really interesting topic! I never would've thought about this issue and I'm glad you thought enough to mention it. You wrote a lot about you agreeing and and mentioned that they refuted these stereotypes, but you didn't really go into detail. I didn't feel like I knew the article well after reading your post and I would have to go to the original article to fully understand. I would've liked for you to change my mind about my own stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Jared. This is a subject close to me as I taught Saudi women for 20 years when I worked in Saudi Arabia.

    ReplyDelete