In the article,
FBI arrests Connecticut cops accused of racial profiling, by David Arosto, the author discusses how three East Haven Patrol Officers were arrested for being accused of mistreating Latinos. Personally I think it is despicable how three officers take advantage of their badges and decide to create havoc among the Latino community. It is comical how two of the three officers continue to deny the charges that they are facing when history shows that they have a reputation with arresting and harassing individuals under false pretenses. Statistics show in East Haven over 40 percent of all police stops are done to Latinos. Even the mayor of the city is being a part of racial discrimination. When asked what he would do about the Latin community, he stated " I might have tacos when I go home, I'm not quite sure yet." Clearly the mayor has issues with other ethnic groups. Clearly there is a problem when it comes to racial equality in East Haven and I believe that finding out about these stories is a great first step. Because all of these stories have been shown to the public, the East Haven police handbook's rules and policies are now being updated for the first time since 1972.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/24/justice/connecticut-racial-profiling-arrests/index.html?iref=allsearch
In my opinion I think what has happened in East Haven Connecticut is terrible. Not only because of what has recently happened in the city, but also because this happens all over the country every day. I have no experience with such a topic, but I feel sympathetic towards those who have been discriminated by law enforcement because of the color of their skin. I don't think racial discrimination will ever end, but it does help when stories show injustices that do happen so a number of people do stop it.
I agree, Jared, that awareness is an important first step toward changing behaviors that discriminate against minority groups.
ReplyDeleteBe sure and keep your "I" statements in the response paragraphs and be objective in stating the main ideas of the article in the summary paragraph. Also, you want to highlight the name of the article and insert the link so that your readers can go directly to the article and follow along with your analysis.
Generally, you have a good grasp of your mechanics. There are a couple of errors. Be concise and say, "I think" or "In my opinion" as these sentences are the same.
First, when you said 'I have no experience with such a topic' I just want you to know that if you ever do experience these kind of things, you'll feel much more sympathetic and sad based on my experience. I liked this post because usually racism is towards African Americans but this was kind of fresh, a post about Latinos. Good job
ReplyDeleteJared,
ReplyDeleteI think this article gives good insight, into how corrupt some places are. To have three polices arrested for mistreating people is horrible. Police officers are supposed to be there to protect us not put us down. I also think it is incredible unprofessional that the mayor would say something like that out in public.
-Anna Marie
I enjoyed reading your blog post, these things are always terrible, but fascinating to read. It is hard to believe that things like this go on all around the world,but it isnt as big of an issue as it should be.
ReplyDelete-Jessica Lewis